PREPARING THE WORKFORCE AND CITIZENS OF TOMORROW
Workforce Development & STEM
(Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math)
- FCPS is working to integrate engineering and coding elements throughout the curriculum in elementary school. The foundation is seeking funding to support teacher training and materials development to bring this technology to all students.
- The Foundation funds CyberPatriot after school clubs in 10 middle schools. The clubs introduce students to cybersecurity principles.
- Currently, we are seeking funding to expand cyber IT courses to every high school. More students will have the opportunity to be introduced to the concepts and perhaps pursue additional training in this lucrative and growing career field.
- We support computer refurbishing clubs in middle and high schools through the VA STAR program. Students learn IT skills to refurbish the computers which are then donated to FCPS families in need. If you have 10 or more computers to donate to VA STAR, please call 571-423-1031.
Students at Herndon Middle School tour a Boeing exhibit at the National Air & Space Museum. View the video
- The Foundation is an enthusiastic sponsor of the FCPS Honors, recognizing our excellent teachers and staff. We collaborated with FCPS Office of Business & Community Partnerships to revive the Outstanding Business and Outstanding Community Partner Awards which were presented at the 2016 event.
Please consider a donation to the Foundation for FCPS as you plan your end of the Year contributions.
Kids in Need
- The Kids in Need fund was created in 2015 to help fill the gaps for over 53,000 FCPS students who live below the poverty line.
- We are a part of Collect for Kids, a county-wide effort to provide all FCPS students in need with school supplies and back packs.
Did You Know?
The Foundation secured $25,000 in funding to match a challenge grant from the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia and launch CyberPatriot in FCPS Middle Schools. Funding will support CyberPatriot afterschool programs in 10 middle schools in the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 school years, with the goal of giving students earlier exposure to cybersecurity.
And We Also...
helped launch Genesys Works of the National Capital Area in Fairfax County. The non-profit will assist 25 FCPS students with part-time paid internships in 2016.